6/15/09

Nba World Champions 2009...


It has been a long and tiring journey for this Lakers team and words cannot even begin to fathom my happiness for them as a team and as an organization.

As a young kid, I've always grown up watching the Lakers. They were my favorite team mainly because of the brotherhood I feel whenever I watch them play as a team and also because I have always felt that we have been blessed to have so many good players as well as genuine individuals on our team.

I rooted for them when they won the championship three consecutive times in 2000-2002 and dealt with the heartbreaking loss in 2003-2004 when they lost to the young and more athletic Detroit Pistons.

I stuck with them through their long yet arduous rebuilding process in the 2005-2007 era watching Kobe trying to will his team to victory every night despite his teammates constantly struggling.

I watched in panic everytime I saw Kwame Brown touch the ball, only to lose it and turn the ball over, and I jumped for joy when I heard that we acquired Pau Gasol from the Grizzlies a year ago.

I was with them during their 2008 campaign only to be disappointed when they lost in the Nba Finals against the the more aggresive and defensive minded Boston Celtics.

Yes, as a fan I've been through a lot.

But watching them this season, and finally being able to see them hold the Larry O'Brien trophy really illustrated the culmination of their 7 long and difficult journey back to the top of the pinaccle of the Nba world.

So this championship means more to me than the ones I witnessed back in the 2000 era.

Not because Kobe has finally won his first championship without Shaq.

No.

It's because I've witnessed the adversity this franchise and team had to face in order for them to finally reclaim their spot as the best basketball team in the world.

And its that realization that makes this championship much much sweeter...

Congratulations Lakers!

No comments: